Floods – they can happen at any time without warning! Floods are the most prevalent natural disaster in the United States and are becoming more common. Floods cause millions of dollars of damage to all types of properties each year.
Below are some facts about floods that you should be aware of. These facts can help you plan ahead of time in case you’re hit by this leading cause of natural disasters!
1. Floods are the #1 natural disaster in the United States, followed by:
#2 – Wind
#3 – Rip currents
#4 – Cold
#5 – Heat
#6 – Tornado
#7 – Lightning
#8 – Winter
#9 – Hurricane
2. In the past 5 years all 50 states have experienced floods or flash floods!
3. In 2015, there was 2X more fatalities due to floods compared to the previous 10-year average!
4. The states with the highest number of flood related fatalities are:
5. The number of annual deaths due to flooding: 200
6. FYI – Homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage!
7. A few inches of water from a flood can cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage.
8. Basements are most prone to flooding.
9. Floods can occur anywhere, and often with little or no warning.
10. The average annual amount of damages due to flooding in the United States: $8.3 billion
11. Floods usually happen due to the following:
- Heavy rains
- Ice and snow
- Storms and hurricanes
- Dam and levee failures
12. The average flood claim in the United States is $42,000!
13. The average flood insurance policy premium is $700 per year.
Knowing these facts, you can see that it is critical to have flood insurance! If you have any questions about flood insurance, or are in need of a quote, please feel free to reach out to us. We would be happy to help! CLICK HERE